Sometimes you might need to send content as an email, rather than as a Slack message — for instance, you might like to send pre-boarding emails to New Hires before they join your Slack workspace.
You can schedule email messages in your Donut templates for New Hires, Managers, or other stakeholders as needed. Read on to learn how to use this feature.
Adding Personal Email Addresses for New Hires
In order for Donut to send your New Hires emails before they start, you'll need to add their personal email address. You can set this up when creating the New Hire in the dashboard.
- Under "Who is the New Hire?" select "I know their work email"
- Insert their work email address
- Input their personal email if you wish to send pre-boarding emails before they join Slack/have access to the work email address.
*Once a user has joined Slack, we'll use the email address associated with their Slack account for any email messages.
The Basics of Creating an Email Message
- Login at app.donut.ai
- Select the template you'd like to add an email message to.
- Create a new message
- Decide who it's for, what time, and what day you want it to send
- Under "What is it" select "Email" as the message type
- Type your message and hit "save"
Subject Line & From Address
You'll need to create a subject for the email & select who the email should appear "from" — all to the email replies will go to the "from" email address.
Emojis & Mentions
You can still use emojis, and @mention roles such as @Manager. When you mention roles, it will automatically populate with the user's name.
Scheduling Emails to Other Roles
You can also schedule messages as an email to other roles. When you choose a role or a specific user under "Who's it for?" in the message creation page, Donut will email the user at the email address associated with their Slack account.
Previewing Your Message
The right side of the screen will display a preview of the email message so that you can get a sense of how it will look in email.
Have questions about how to set up and use email messages? Feel free to open the purple Intercom button in the bottom right corner and send us your questions!